Saturday, April 5, 2014

Jer is going under the knife

Today my youngest went in for surgery. This wasn't expected to be major surgery, but as with everything there are risks evolved.

We had a friendly anesthesiologist, who like most young educated individuals, was quick to answer all our questions with long winded explanations.  Jer was most excited to meet him. In fact he told me in confidence that when he grew up he wanted to do his job since he heard they make bank!!  So when he walked in and introduced himself, Jer giggled A little and told him what was on his mind.  To my total surprise he started in on his long winded explanation about his enormous school debt equaling a house payment and the new government insurance that pays a quarter of what private insurance pays.  He then expressed his desire to get his MBA because that is where the real money is made.

This conversation soon enough changed topics to a more somber subject.  He then went through all the risks of surgery. I was a bit shocked that death was brought up. I felt like saying.... Hey stop, your freaking me out let alone scaring my son.  After our brief discussion on risks- it was brief since we learned not to ask questions or suffer the wrath of long winded explanations totally foreign since they were in non- laymen terms! It was nearing the end of our chat. Bed rests were being lifted, IV's being secured and this anesthesiologist says, "now is the time to give your mom a big hug and kiss."  I replied, "we'll he isn't a big fan of that stuff anymore. He's not my little boy anymore." He replies with..."Well I lost my mom suddenly 6 yrs ago. You never know when you'll regret it."  This is being said all they while he is starting to push Jer's bed out of the room! My mind is buzzing and the adrenalin is now coursing through my veins...  All I did was rub Jer's arm and say "we'll that's not happening today!  Love you Jer!" Jer just smiled at me as they wheeled him off.

Now fast forward to my relief- Jer is out and I am waiting to be taken back to my slowly rousing young man.  I wonder if I should be surprised that he's alive.   For a minute I was regretting not kissing him before surgery. But I snuck one in while he was still asleep!

Jer just woke up and told me the worst part of the day was the IV.  He also said with great joy, "I didn't die today, I love  you Mom!" That's right Jer!

Thanks to our anesthesiologist- Jer will probably go after an MBA since it will never cost him a home mortgage load of debt! I'm sitting here silently cheering on the inside!  Small and large miracles happen everyday when you choose to see them! We Fehokos are blessed!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel u on this one Tiffany N Simon Fehoko, been there with Tevita Kawikalani Havili just so great full for the out come. Glad Jer is ok.- Loisi