Saturday, February 1, 2014

Laugh at Yourself

Don't you hate those moments in your life that you have no choice but to share with those around you for the sheer fact that they were there?  You know the moments I'm talking about.  Those ones that happened in a moment of weakness, shame, stupidity, or just dumb luck.  As soon as it happens you wish you were alone in a quite room, or that you died on the spot of sheer embarrassment just so you wouldn't have to face them again.  We've all had more than a few of these moments in our lives.  It's times like this that define us.  We either stick our head in the sand and hide or hold our head high and laugh with those around us.

When I was working at the University of Utah division of Continuing Education I shared a "Moment" with a male co-worker.  I was pregnant.  Not just barely pregnant, but going to pop pregnant!  The bathroom was on the main floor, thus, I waddled down stairs past multiple offices to use the bathroom.  I was wearing this paisley brown and cream dress with pregnancy nylons to help with the swelling of my obese butt and thighs.  On the long trek back to my office, I said hello to many people.  I shared my office with 2 other men, one of which his desk was directly behind mine.  At some point during the morning I dropped something under my desk.  I rolled out of my chair and got to all fours with my bum sticking in the direction of my co-worker.  As I retrieved the fallen item and stood up, he politely told me that my dress what tucked up into my nylons.  Red faced I managed a stifled gulp of air, pulled my dress out as my co-worker said with a giggle, "That was not a view I wanted to see!"  UGGH!  I was mortified!  I just wanted to bust out in tears!  I was fat and I knew it, but geez... that comment was horrifying!  I'll never forget it!  I managed to laugh with him, but deep inside I thought I would break.  As I look back at that moment I think I can actually laugh at myself!  I admit it must have been a pretty funny site.  And I can't believe I waddled around the Annex building with my butt hanging out the whole morning!  (the picture is old and blurry but that's the dress and the beginning of the belly!)

Or what about the time I was taking a break in my Grandma Dorothy's office (again in the Annex building of U of U).  I had a double action breast pump to really get the job done fast!  In a rush of business in walked the Dean!  My sweet Grandma made mention that I was pumping so that he turned and made notice of my, location, position and the quite hum of the pump.  All the while milk is squirting into two bottles!  What the HECK was I supposed to do?  Unlatch and cover up?  Another shameful moment frozen in time!  This time I pretended like it didn't bother me one bit.  Just smiled, and kept on to my business.  It seemed like it didn't faze him at all, like it was a normal occurrence to walk in on women pumping during a break.  In his busy life he probably didn't put one more thought into it, while I have been ruminating on it for 20+ years!  The key is to act like it didn't faze you....

Like me, I know there are a few of you that have had bathroom accidents.  Don't worry it happens to the best of us!  (Notice I am leaving names out to protect the innocent)  Maybe its inherited, but in my family I have had a parent stop on the way home from work to use someones bathroom, only to find the door locked, so they resorted to pooping in the backyard rose garden.  I also had a grandparent pee in a tupperware during rush hour morning traffic on the way to work.  I had a family member poop their pants at the top of bell canyon, leaving clothing in the bushes and finishing the hike while washing up in the drinking fountain at the mouth of the hike. *Note to friends- don't drink out of the fountain! Our kids empty the garbage on occasion to exclaim, "who's poopy underware are in the garbage can?"  Another family member was taking a boat ride only to get sick, puke overboard as pee was running down their legs.  They promptly squatted as to not bring too much unnecessary attention to the moment.   And most recently I had a family member say, "I just took a step and out it came? IDK what happend, I'm so confused?"  All of these moments are better shared with  loved ones.  Don't be fooled, we love to laugh with them but there is a fair amount of teasing that goes along with that!  These are moments that everyone treasures.  They will never be forgotten because we share them together.

I think the point of this weeks note is to laugh alongside our friends and family not always at them.  And definitely learn to laugh at yourself!  It will burn those lasting moments in your memory to enjoy over and over again especially when shared with those you love! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

V.J.- yeah was never a fan of public water fountains...