Monday, October 21, 2013

Brown Skinned Boy

When I was a little girl my dad took me to a Bees game.  I don't think it was very entertaining because I don't remember much.  What I do remember is telling my dad that I thought the Black guy out on the field was super HOT!  I think I have such a vivid memory of this game because of the reaction I got from my father.  He was born in the 50's, raised in Tooele and a big country boy.  I never thought my dad was racist, just super opinionated when it came to people from origins other than America.  I always heard racial slurs, jokes and opinions about immigration in my home. Imagine his dismay when his cute little daughter thought black boys were good looking?  I'm pretty sure his reaction planted a seed somewhere in my subconscious.

I wasn't necessarily surround by ethnic kids growing up.   During high school I can only remember one kid that was black, and he was adopted for heck's sake!  For the record, I wasn't attracted to him.  He was a nerdy boy, super smart and wore really big glasses (pretty popular for the day).  I don't even remember if he played sports.  I think he was in the Drama Club?

I went away to Dixie College when I was 19.  I had worked a year out of high school and saved enough money to pay for my first semester of college by myself.  My dad said if I wanted to stay after the first semester he would pay for the remainder of college.  I moved into student housing across from campus.  Our complex was three stories, double sided.  I was on the middle floor on the right side, sharing our apartment with 6 girls.  Boys lived on the left side of the complex.  The bottom left side was inhabited by 5 brown skinned football players and one random white guy.  That apartment was always partying.  I didn't pay much attention to them until early December of that year.

Those boys only had one car between them and it was a gold, rusted out, two door Honda hatchback.  Those boys would pile up in that car.  I never could figure out how they all fit.  It was like a clown car at the circus.  I drove a pretty sporty Suzuki Samurai, white pin stripped, with my name hand painted on the driver's door.  Yes, I was spoiled!  In December, the brown skinned owner of that gold Honda  started asking me every time he saw me,  "When are you taking me out?"  With a huff of disgust I would reply, "When are YOU taking ME out?"  I had never been asked such a question.  And to imagine, Me taking out a boy?  I thought, "In his DREAMS!"  Well, he never stopped asking and it became a running joke.  My initial reaction turned to infatuation with his determination.  When ever he was with his friends he would ask the same question, my reply however, turned to, "Sure do LIKE YA!"  His friends would laugh, poke or slap him, and just tease him unrelentingly at my response.  

Returning from Christmas break, I was surprised to find this brown skinned boy sitting on the back row of my Vocabulary class.  After the first week of class he approached me with a proposition.  "The loser on the next vocab test takes the winner out to lunch."  I love a good bet, especially the ones I'm guaranteed to win.  I knew I was smarter and vowed to study my butt off.  The next day of class the scan trons were passed out.  The tests were taken and returned and I only missed one!  I was elated!  I turned around from the front row, looked over my shoulder to the boy in the back row and he held up his scan tron with 100% in big red marker and a huge smile on his face!

I regrettably took him to lunch and was immediately enamored! I called my dad and asked, "What would you think if I started dating a Tongan?"  With hesitation in his voice he said, "What's a Tongan?"  I giggled, knowing that seed planted long ago had just sprouted.

As parents we must protect our children but most of all teach tolerance and acceptance for the many cultures surrounding us.  Our world is fascinating just outside our front door and the amazing people, their diverse cultures and heritage can enhance your families lives and give them a Fakapale that will be a gift you will treasure your whole lives.

P.S. Simon cheated on the Vocab TEST!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How well I remember that day when you called me at work and asked about dating a Tongan……little did I realize that once the question was asked, it was already too late! I tried my best to help you understand the pros and cons, and even though you and your kids have experienced the racial bias I knew would be in their lives, it is abundantly clear the blessings Simon and the kids have brought you far outweigh any negatives. I am happy you married Simon and have 4 beautiful, and smart kids. If they can look past the prejudices of people in their lives and make decisions about relationships based on what is in a person’s heart, then they will attract friends from every ethnicity and ultimately marry someone who has the same morals and goals that they have learned from you and Simon. Settling for anything less would be disheartening.

I Love you Tiffany-
Love, Your Dad

Anonymous said...

Tiff you r amazing!!! Sure do love ya - Johnny Wright

Anonymous said...

Great story! Great picture (I'm pretty sure that I'm the one who took it) Great memories. Love you guys. - Molly Poplin Nau

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! Im glad my brother never gave up. Lol..love the hair on the pic guess this was before or after Fui had his blond hair also?- Loisi Fehoko Taliaivao

Anonymous said...

Now, that is some big hair Tif.- Elaine David Lowry